RE: Task-based vs. descriptive online help

Subject: RE: Task-based vs. descriptive online help
From: "Giordano, Connie" <Connie -dot- Giordano -at- FMR -dot- COM>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 7 Mar 2001 15:32:33 -0500

It's appropriate if the screen has been designed with tasks in mind. If
your task is to check statuses on something then you could name the topic
accordingly. However, most systems aren't designed this way, which is why
separating task-based and reference help becomes an issue in the first
place.

I'd be more inclined to figure out how users refer to the task, title the
topic that way, then include index references by the window name.

Enough from this usability advocate--HTH

Connie Giordano
Senior Technical Writer
Advisor Technology Services
704-330-2069
e-mail: Connie -dot- Giordano -at- fmr -dot- com

"Tell me and I'll forget. Show me, and I may not remember. Involve me,
and I'll understand." - Native American Proverb