RE: Technical Writing, QA, and Training (fairly long)

Subject: RE: Technical Writing, QA, and Training (fairly long)
From: Dannette Thompson <dthomps -at- foundationsoft -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 9 Mar 2001 14:49:34 -0500

Mark,
Boy, does all of that sound familiar! My company has recently experienced
some of the same issues, albeit with a smaller staff. When I was hired as
the first "official" Technical Writer here, I reported to the Director of
Education, who was responsible for creating all documentation and training
materials, as well as finding someone to teach training classes. The trainer
was typically a member of the support department, but with my background in
education, I was frequently called upon to help.

I dislike teaching here because, while I know the software very well, I
cannot necessarily answer the accounting questions that arise when dealing
with a custom setup in class. (We make an accounting software.) In other
words, tell me how you want it to work and I can show you how to make that
happen. But if you're not sure how you want it to work, I'm at a loss.

On the other hand, my experiences in the classroom have greatly benefited my
documentation skills here -- especially because I was responsible for
creating reference guides *and* training guides. I've learned a great deal
about the questions typical users ask, gained some "real-world" examples and
found myself with an even greater level of knowledge regarding the software.

Problems started to arise when I spent too much time on training and not
enough on documentation. (That's another issue with training; it demands a
lot of attention.) Mgmt began to see the light and has reorganized our
company structure in much the same way you mentioned. "Education" no longer
exists. Instead, we are part of QA, which is under the R&D Division. The
Education Director co-manages the R&D Division with the former R&D Director.
The production of training material and the actual training now falls under
the Support Division.

Of course, there are always new issues. Since I'm the "software guru" around
here (esp. MS Office), R&D now takes up a huge amount of my time with other
non-writing related tasks. For example, our database can "talk" to Excel, so
I've spent the last week creating Excel templates for reports that users
have requested and R&D doesn't have time to program. Seems like no matter
where you sit, there's someone who can drain your resources.

In summary, I guess my advice is to take a good long look at other parts of
the situation. The grass often is greener on the other side. So, don't be
too eager to go running to another "opportunity" unless many things are
unbearable. Like I mentioned, training can have some benefits for you, so
try to keep a positive outlook regarding it as much as possible. In
addition, I'd make sure that I was tracking time spent on the various types
of projects in case someone suddenly asks why documentation has been
neglected.

Good luck,

Dannette Thompson
Technical Writer
Foundation Software, Inc.
The #1 Accounting Software for Labor-Intensive Contractors
The opinions expressed in this message do not necessarily reflect the
opinions or policies of my employer or coworkers.