Re: Programming terminology - definitions requested

Subject: Re: Programming terminology - definitions requested
From: "Laura A Mac Lemale" <lmaclemale -at- paychex -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 09 Mar 2001 15:11:11 -0500

Hello,

I'm documenting two internal systems that have yet to be fully developed. Therefore, I'm relying heavily on the functional specs and design documents (I'm kind of new to these) for some preliminary research. Not being a programming expert, I'm noticing some frequently-used terminology that I want to clarify. (At one point I asked a couple of other writers but did not get a usable answer.)

Can someone shed some light on the following terms:

cron (process?)
trigger
sequel (SQL)

I'm asking because I believe that some of these may run "automagically" and some may require user action. For example, I believe that the user has to take an action to run an SQL script, while in context it looks like a cron process is programmed to run automatically on the system. Please let me know if these assumptions are even close to reality!

I'm on digest, so please reply to me at lmaclemale -at- paychex -dot- com or cc me on your post. Any information you could supply would be appreciated!

Many thanks!
Laura

P.S.--Thanks to all who participated in the recent discussion of SQL resources. I plan to learn more about SQL very soon as I think the knowledge will be beneficial in my current job!

Laura MacLemale
Technical Writer
Paychex, Inc.
Rochester, NY USA
lmaclemale -at- paychex -dot- com

Disclaimer: Standard disclaimer applies...