Re: laid off

Subject: Re: laid off
From: "Karen Neeb" <karenneeb -at- hotmail -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Sun, 11 Mar 2001 10:03:53 -0600

Martha,
I've been laid off twice in the past 2 years--the last time was just in January. The most important thing is to not take it personally. These are business decisions that have nothing to do with you (and may also seem to have nothing to do with logic or common sense).

Try to enjoy and take advantage of your time off: visit friends, see a movie in the middle of the day, clean your house thoroughly, do everything you put off because you don't have enough time. I know many people will tell you that job hunting is a full-time job, but don't worry yourself silly about finding a new job. Both times I've been laid off, it's turned out to be the best thing that could have happened; I just didn't know it at the time.

Even one tech writing job and a side contract should be plenty of experience, as long as you sell it the right way in your resume. Have several other people who know your work review your resume .

This happens all too often, unfortunately. You are not alone.
Good luck!

Karen