Re: another twist for instructions

Subject: Re: another twist for instructions
From: "Dick Margulis" <margulis -at- mail -dot- fiam -dot- net>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 12 Mar 2001 12:06:24 -0500

I see an opportunity here to expand on Karen Schriver's work in document design. (By the way, even though this is a serious post, my first reaction to Bill's story was to fall out of my chair laughing. Bill, you'll hear from my insurance company shortly.)

I mean why not? One obvious way to implement this sort of scheme would be to design detailed instructions for clarity, readability, etc., good, clear graphics, sensitivity to language and cultural issues, the works; but then add what amount to pull quotes. These would add visual interest and, for the benefit of those who are too impatient to RTFM before beginning assembly, hit the critical items that, if ignored, would lead to the greatest number of complaints and returns.

Okay all you newly laid off techwhirlers, go out and sell this idea to consumer product companies as a way to improve the bottom line.

Dick