RE: Personal development plan

Subject: RE: Personal development plan
From: "Gerald R. Posey" <geraldp -at- caddosheriff -dot- org>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 12 Mar 2001 20:18:24 -0600

The "idea" of a personal development plan sounds a lot like Stephen R.
Covey's books. The idea is a sound one. The application in one's personal
life is a sound one - gives you a personal plan of direction and something
you can refer to occasionally to see if you are still on the track YOU
choose to follow. You can also change it or should I say adapt it as you
choose new paths. My personal development plan includes five basic growth
areas: Physical, Mental, Spiritual, Emotional and Social. These are
extremely personal and are mine - I don't even let my closest family members
view my plan.

As I mentioned before, this sounds a lot like someone has recently attended
a Covey seminar. While I enjoyed and continue to enjoy the books and the
seminars from time to time for my personal enrichment, I have yet to see
these principles put to good use in an organization for more than a year.
Everyone wants to learn and implement the ideas, but in the end most middle
and upper level managers loose interest and eventually drop the principles,
which usually trickles downhill.

Of the dozen or so managers in my organization that were sent to bring this
great new management technique back to the masses, only two of us still use
the techniques on a personal basis. Neither of us are using the techniques
at work.

Well, enough ranting. Time to socialize with my family.