RE: Pantone colours

Subject: RE: Pantone colours
From: "Steve Hudson" <steve -at- wright -dot- com -dot- au>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 13 Mar 2001 11:12:23 +1100

Any publishing house can usethe pantone numbers to generate the colors as
PORTRAYED ON A PANTONE COLOR CARD. Do NOT trustr what your monitor shows
you. We put out a high-end graphics product (Wright Design Pro 2.2) that
deals with monitor infidelity by allowing an accurate calibration to be set,
and then using calibration files to "fake" color sets for the output class.
Using this system comes CLOSE to what the final colors will be. Photoshop is
the worst - they use a fake (their own unique one natch) gamut
(color-spread) to show RGB beside CMYK.

So - Pantone is REALLY only supported by offset printing - you cannot expect
every monitor to a) display colors EXACTLY the same and b) have the same
color gamut as CMYK on different stock types.

That is why they supply the color swatch cards in hardcopy - and even these
are only useful for a few years at a time because colors oxidise. Thus -
grab your swatch plate - pick your colors, and ignore what you see on the
screen. If you are concerned with working in CMYK as WYSIWYG as you can get,
buy our product and a top-range monitor, find a neutral light studio to put
it in etc.

Steve