Re: PDF to RTF extraction (experience with Iceni's Gemini)

Subject: Re: PDF to RTF extraction (experience with Iceni's Gemini)
From: sara -at- e-sim -dot- co -dot- il
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 13 Mar 2001 10:29:24 +0200

On 8 March 2001, John Balchunas wants to extract text and graphics from PDFs and
asks "if anyone has any experience with an Acrobat Plugin by Iceni called
Gemini."

In my experience with Gemini:
-- tables often need to be reworked
-- sometimes line breaks in paragraphs became hard carriage returns
-- the quality of some extracted graphics is very poor (I often found it better
to take a screen capture from the original PDF.)
-- sometimes text elements such as headers extract as graphics (I think it
depends on the format of the element in the original.)
-- the order of the text from complicated page layouts becomes jumbled in the
output

Gemini is still the best tool we could find for our purposes. All text that can
be extracted from a PDF (including text from callouts) appears in the RTF --
definitely faster than retyping!

Hope this helps.

--Sara