Re: Creative Uses for Palm Devices?

Subject: Re: Creative Uses for Palm Devices?
From: Janice Gelb <janice -dot- gelb -at- eng -dot- sun -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 15 Mar 2001 09:34:35 -0800

Andrew Plato wrote:

> I enjoy using my Palm as a dust collector, dog toy, and chic geek
> accessory.
>
> You're not going to believe this - but I actually got a
> Palm for the sole reason that it impressed people when I
> went out on sales meetings. They see I have a Palm and
> they think I am appropriately wired so they're more
> comfortable dropping a quadzillion dollars on the security
> solution I am pitching to them. In reality, the whole
> thing is blank and 1/2 the time the batteries are dead.

If this is true, then you're missing out on a major
productivity tool just so you can be Cooler Than Thou.

I've found my Palm V to hugely simplify my life. It's
better than my old Day-Timer because it can do repeating
meetings at once, rather than having to scrawl them in
every week, plus it has alarms. And I have the 800
numbers for dial-in meetings attached to the meeting
notice automatically.

The To-Do list, however, is my favorite part of the
device. Fleeting thoughts about things I have to
get done are instantly recorded, and I can then
remove them from my short-term memory and not have
to hope I remember them with mnemonics or other
tricks. You can create different categories for
the list; by project, for example. (I also have
one for book recommendations, which makes trips
to the library much more productive :-> )

As someone else mentioned, having all contact information
for everyone at your fingertips is also useful. And I
wrote my entire detailed report on the STC conference
last year just from notes I took in sessions in my Palm,
with Graffiti.

Finally, if you have RSI, like I do, having a small,
lightweight device that you can slip in a pocket
beats carrying around a large notebook any time.
And you're a lot more likely to *take* notes if
you have your note recorder with you at all times.