RE: Creative Uses for Palm Devices?

Subject: RE: Creative Uses for Palm Devices?
From: "Roth, Ronica" <Ronica -dot- Roth -at- 247media -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 16 Mar 2001 10:20:17 -0700

Yes, the Palm is wonderful. And as someone else mentioned, I was surprised
that it really did help me get more organized, and wasn't just the latest
organizational gadget (or rather, if it is I love it). And, yes, I do all
that good stuff with to do's and calendars and whatnot.

But Bobby asked about CREATIVE uses. I definitely haven't gone to the edge
yet, but some of the more fun stuff:

Using WordSmith and my fold-up keyboard (full-size when expanded, as small
as the palm when folded), I have sat out on Denver's pedestrian mall writing
short vignettes about the people i see (I'm working on a book).

I ran into a coworker on a plane once. He beamed me the program Vindigo,
which provides city info on restaurants, clubs, and movies
(www.vindigo.com), so now when friends and I can't think of a good
restaurant choice, or we wonder if we can catch that movie, I can whip out
my palm and find the answer.

On the bus, rather than mess with folding a newspaper on a crowded commute,
I read The New York Times (very abridged) or Fox sports via www.avantgo.com.

Of course, games are important. I'm learning chess and cribbage through
programs. And on stressful days, while I'm waiting for the computer to churn
away at something, I play ZAP!2000 or Galaxa, which looks really cool on my
color Palm IIIc.

Oh, and once at a dull corporate meeting, a friend and I giggled like
schoolgirls as we passed notes via beaming memos.

For ideas of what's out there: www.palm.com, www.palmgear.com.

Have fun!
Ronica Roth
ronica -dot- roth -at- 247media -dot- com
Denver, Colorado