Long Documents in Word

Subject: Long Documents in Word
From: "Lee Perkins" <lperkins -at- cpcug -dot- org>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Sat, 17 Mar 2001 12:25:37 -0500

Until recently I had escaped using MS-Word for any serious work.
However, I just finished a nightmarish experience trying to put
a 150 page book together using Word's master document feature.
When the size got to between 50 and 60 pages, averaging
about 1 GIF image per page, Word displays a notice stating that
the document is corrupt and asks if I want to attempt recovery.
The results are the same no matter what I answer - the master
is corrupt and I have to recreate it. I had to create it in sections,
making a lot of manual processes. The job took about 5X as long as
I estimated. I finally borrowed a computer running Windows-NT and
completed the job, although not without glitches.

When someone told me that Windows 98 might be the culprit,
I upgraded to Windows 98 Second Edition, and shrunk
the original JPEGS to GIFs all without result.

Am I wasting my time because Word cannot handle long documents,
as its Macintosh cousin can, or can someone point me to information
on successful creation and maintenance of long documents in MS-Word?