RE: Big Doc Word

Subject: RE: Big Doc Word
From: "Steve Hudson" <steve -at- wright -dot- com -dot- au>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 19 Mar 2001 16:38:53 +1100

#1: I can use master documents to provide the same functionality as "Version
tagging" under FM.

#2: If you just use the master as a sub-document container and not a
document you "wont experience problems".

#3: Reduced load times when editing the subdocuments instead of waiting for
a huge file to come across the network. Add the compulsory temp files and
word slows down even more.

#4: I use them because I dont have problems with them.

#5: Word definitely has an upper limit which you cannot exceed. Once a
document gets to this size, you need to split it to continue editing it. RD
etc is just too messy and "manual".

#6: I link every picture as its the only way to get the filename associated
with the graphic, which is a control and qa issue.

#7: I have found word 2000 to be much more stable regarding numbering and
lists, which was the number one big corrupter of masters under 97.

#8: To use a master document successfully, you must have minimal (NONE!)
changes to the styles and lists via the template, minimise sections, and
have your lists set correctly (each list style must have its own gallery
entry).

#9: It takes less development time using Masters than any other method I
have tried.