RE: Big Doc Word

Subject: RE: Big Doc Word
From: david -dot- locke -at- amd -dot- com
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 19 Mar 2001 13:40:44 -0600

The real problem with MS Word is that it is free. And, for some of the
software vendors that employed me, free is good, and few hundred dollars was
impossible despite the fact that they paid for two days of downtime every
time we went to print. That was back years ago when a two page file was all
MS Word could deal with.

The problem with the master document feature is historical. And, goes back
to that same time when two page files were all MS Word could do for me. Yes,
those files had a lot of huge graphics in them. But, being a historical
problem, means that we learned from it back then and haven't taken the time
to try it again. For some of us it will never work, because we no longer
work with it.

The hardest part about learning is unlearning something after you learned it
wrong, or it changed.

David W. Locke