Re: Visually impaired/blind TWs?

Subject: Re: Visually impaired/blind TWs?
From: iluvvscotties -at- earthlink -dot- net
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 22 Mar 2001 09:51:26 -0500

At 09:04 AM 03/22/2001 -0500, Bill McClain wrote:

How do blind or visually-impaired tech writers get
thru their days? Do they rely on text-to-speech
conversion? What other technologies do they use?
In an increasingly GUI-oriented profession, what
kinds of measures do individual writers and teams
resort to to help these writers be productive ...

Years ago, I designed some DOS-based freeware software utilities which were used by developers across the country -- and was taken aback when a blind person asked me for help. I called NYC's PC Users' Group, got the number of the Disabilities SIG, and called them to ask how to help the blind guy. Although the gentleman who answered was not visually impaired, he was able to tell me to translate everything to screen location (e.g., line 10, column 4) -- which I should have been able to figure out for myself. In any event, that worked out fine.

Although the increase in GUI makes this much more difficult, text-to-speech software has dramatically improved over the years.

If you want help from people who are visually impaired, I'd be glad to look up CompuServe's Disabilities forum (which can now be accessed by anyone, not just CSi members) and the phone number of NYC's PC Users Disabilities SIG if you don't have one in your area.

Build Contents, Indexes, and Search for Web Sites and Help Systems Available 4/30/01 at http://www.devahelp.com or info -at- devahelp -dot- com