Re: XML tools...

Subject: Re: XML tools...
From: Bruce Byfield <bbyfield -at- axionet -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 22 Mar 2001 09:07:55 -0800

"A. R. Goldman" wrote:

> I'm also interested in learning opinions about the various XML editors,
> converters, and other miscellaneous tools... My main platform is the
> Macintosh OS, and there is (as far as I can tell) very little XML software
> available. I am planning on installing Linux soon, which should expand my
> possibilities...

Don't be too sure of that.

Linux XML is still largely at the pioneer stage: that is, full of
hardy command line gurus carving out docuements from the computer
wilderness with emacs and psgml.

There was a promising little tool called conglomerate being done,
but development seems to have stopped. There's also a proprietary
tool called iceSculpture, but it lacks styles or even bullet lists,
so it isn't really ready for prime time. A couple of HTML editors
seem to be plannng to add XML support, but, so far, not much has
happened.

"We are not beginners, we will not be fooled,
The times have been our teachers, and they teach an iron rule:
We do our best work in the dark, we do our thinking on the run,
We will hang together till the longest day is done."
-Oysterband, "A Fire Is Burning"