Re: OFF-TOPIC: resource for sayings

Subject: Re: OFF-TOPIC: resource for sayings
From: "Ira L. Jacobson" <laser -at- ieee -dot- org>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 22 Mar 2001 21:34:21 +0200

Mike <techmail_mike -at- yahoo -dot- com> wrote in techwr-l digest: March 21, 2001:

One of my dept. heads is giving a speech soon, and he
wants me to find the origin of the following:

"Straight from the horse's mouth"

"As a rule of thumb"

Anyone have a good resource on the Net for the origin
of some of these sayings?

Mike, thank you. Finally, after years of lurking, I have a contribution:

The phrase "rule of thumb" is derived from an old English law that stated that you couldn't beat your wife with anything wider than your thumb.

Build Contents, Indexes, and Search for Web Sites and Help Systems Available 4/30/01 at http://www.devahelp.com or info -at- devahelp -dot- com