RE: Information Architect part of IT or TW?

Subject: RE: Information Architect part of IT or TW?
From: david -dot- locke -at- amd -dot- com
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 22 Mar 2001 20:07:16 -0600

Information design and information architecture are part of our jobs just
like graphics design and book design. But, we don't run around calling
ourselves graphics design. It's a different job, and most people doing
information design or information architecture are graphics designers or
book designers.

Yes, they don't write. They design and organize content, very little of
which is written. And, no they don't really belong in IT unless they are
designing the information architecture of a web site. There is other content
that needs to be designed and organized into an architecture.

If you want to get paid more to do information design, then do that. I don't
know why you would get more respect or more pay as an information designer
or information architect. But, if you want to pay more, I'm sure people
would be happy to take the money.

Where those jobs fit would probably be a reflection of where technical
writing fits.

David W. Locke