Re: Health insurance for contractors

Subject: Re: Health insurance for contractors
From: "David M. Brown" <dmbrown -at- brown-inc -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 22 Mar 2001 18:27:25 -0800

Beth Kane wrote:

> If I leave the corporate scene, what can we do for insurance?

Don't forget your COBRA benefits. I'm no expert, but you'll probably find that your soon-to-be-former employer will let you pay them monthly for up to 18 months of continued coverage under your current plan. Bear in mind that you'll have to pay their full price, which is typically more than what they've been withholding from your paycheck. (Companies typically subsidize the cost of insurance for their employees.)

This is a terrific deal for the self-employed person!

Before your COBRA coverage runs out, look at various professional organizations. I enrolled my company in the Software Association of Oregon (where we're based), mainly because the association offered group coverage at a slightly better rate than what the STC offered at the time. If you're already a member of STC, IEEE, ACM, or a similar group that offers coverage, it may be a simple decision to add insurance coverage. If not, be sure to factor in the membership fee when calculating cost of the coverage.

Good luck in your hunt for insurance. It *can* be found, though it won't be as inexpensive as you're used to, and you may have to give up some fringe benefits, like vision care.

Good luck, too, in your move to independence. I loved it!

--David