Prospective Tech Writer needs Help in Atlanta

Subject: Prospective Tech Writer needs Help in Atlanta
From: TashaRSuki -at- aol -dot- com
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 23 Mar 2001 01:18:24 EST

First of all, it's been a pleasure just to be a part of the list to hear tech writers' voices on different situations. I am hoping you could help me get started in this exciting yet challenging profession. I am a recent college graduate with a BA in English and have moved to Atlanta. I don't have much of a technical background, but I am very computer literate. I am extremely interested in the technical writing profession. I have done an overwhelming amount of research and the difficulty I am experiencing is landing my first position without experience. I have gotten some great advice about creating my portfolio. I am mainly interested in computer software tech writing. The questions I have include:

1. What materials do I include in my portfolio if I have no previous projects?

2. Where do I start to look for volunteer work or a part-time job? How do I began my approach?

3. Will certification be an asset to me?

4. What is the best way to learn desktop publishing tools?

Any additional comments or advice would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Tasha Rucker
tasharsuki -at- ol -dot- com