RE: How many options to give to readers?

Subject: RE: How many options to give to readers?
From: "Newman, Sarah" <snewman -at- bechtel -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 23 Mar 2001 10:31:01 -0600

Christine,

Our rule of thumb is to only present the easiest and most visible method,
which is usually the toolbar button. If no toolbar button is available,
then we use the menu option, or the shortcut key, and so on. In a Menus and
Toolbars section, we list and describe how all the menu commands, toolbar
buttons, and shortcut keys relate to each other. The basic idea is to get
the new user through the procedure as simply as possible, while the more
experienced user can seek out the shortcut keys for frequently-used tasks.

Our one exception is right-clicking on popup menus. We felt that this was
relatively new to many of our users, and not always available. So when there
is a right-click option we do something like this:

Click Save (or right-click and select Save from the popup menu).

Regards,
Sarah Newman
BECHTEL CORPORATION
Information Systems and Technology