Re: Is just me, or is the techwr market abysmal right now?

Subject: Re: Is just me, or is the techwr market abysmal right now?
From: John Posada <jposada01 -at- yahoo -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 23 Mar 2001 08:50:25 -0800 (PST)

> >Can't believe that I've only gotten 3 or 4 calls about
> >tech writing work since the first of the year. This

I won't say it is abysmal right now, though it is definately in a
slump. I usualy get several calls or emails per day, at least 10 per
week and lately, it has been down to maybe 4 a week.

However, what does bother me is those that are changing their tune
and selling themselves at a reduced price. We used to complain about
the novice who comes into the market, selling themselves for $25 per
hour making it tough for those with a solid skill to compete. Now,
the experienced senior level writers are doing the same thing.

I had a conversation with an agency rep a couple of days ago from a
BIG agency out here and she admitted that those who were getting
60/70/80 and hour are now pushing themselves at 40 and 50...and
here's the ironic part...she could place them at 60 and 70 per hour.
However, when they offer themselves at 40, what is she gonna do, say
No, that's alright...here's 20/hr more than you're asking?

The only thing I've had to do in my search is widen my acceptable
geographical area a little.

=====
John Posada, Senior Technical Writer
"How to be happy in life: Never impose your beliefs
on anyone else and never fry bacon in the nude."
-- Anon

http://personal.mail.yahoo.com/