Re: Content Moratorium

Subject: Re: Content Moratorium
From: Bruce Byfield <bbyfield -at- axionet -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 23 Mar 2001 15:21:10 -0800

Michele Marques wrote:

> Bruce Byfield writes:
> > Everything Andrew says is true, except for one thing: left to
> > themselves, the average group of programmers will tinker endlessly.
>
> Feature creep is not always the fault of programmers. In my experience,
> marketing and sales often want new features added in at the last minute, as
> well. Larger features might be postponed for future releases, but "small"
> changes tend to spring up all over the place at the last moment. And even
> larger features can become last minute necessities when a large enough
> customer is insistent.

True enough, but that only extends my point.

In a perfect company, someone needs to be able to tell the
programmers, "It's good enough. We ship in a month."

However, a perfect company also needs a chief programmer or CTO who
says, "We can't add a new feature, no matter how attractive, unless
we delay shipping for two weeks."

"I never felt myself along, nor truly felt afraid,
Until the hour I understood, by friends we are betrayed,
Whose precious mouths are stopped with food, who cannot meet our
eyes,
Who laugh abut their principles and brush them off like flies."
- Oysterband, "Moving On"