RE: Insurance for TW

Subject: RE: Insurance for TW
From: David Castro <thetechwriter -at- yahoo -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Sat, 24 Mar 2001 12:06:33 -0800 (PST)

> Well, by the time I made another round of phone calls and forced the
> incompetent HR manager to look up the information, the option to enlist had
> expired. I looked up my legal options, because his oversight could have
> potentially done me harm, but I had none. The company had no legal
> obligation to provide me the correct COBRA information, stating that it was
> my responsibility to enroll, not theirs.

I'm intrigued by the information you were given. I worked a contract for a
software shop that was creating COBRA-compliance software (incidentally, the
only time I've ever been fired from a job...but that's another story!). The
responsibility is most *definitely* theirs. You could have sued them, and from
what I learned, would have had a very good chance of winning, to have them
cover your insurance costs for the full year.

COBRA was created by the government as a way to keep people from going onto
public-assistance health insurance (MediCal, Medicare, etc.). The program
forces the former employers to allow you to remain on their insurance plan by
paying the premiums that they would have paid, plus what you would have paid,
plus like 5% for their administrative costs.

-David Castro
email -at- davidcastro -dot- com
http://www.davidcastro.com

http://personal.mail.yahoo.com/