Re: Any $ Tips about going Contractor to Perm in Same Firm?

Subject: Re: Any $ Tips about going Contractor to Perm in Same Firm?
From: jkajpust -at- concentric -dot- net
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Sat, 24 Mar 2001 22:40:45 -0500

There's more than just money. I look at a work environment as a
social setting as well. I get to meet and sometimes become friends
with folks I'd probably never meet. I'm not the most gregarious
person, so work is one of the better ways for me to socialize. Other
workers have to put up with me ;-) instead of just walking away or
moving out of state.....

> Everybody's experience probably differs, but I suggest thinking
> twice about making the switch from contracting to full time in the
> same company. As a contractor, I have independence, and get more
> respect and more money. If the company likes my work, I have the
> same stability as a full-time worker (that is, none at all). I can't
> think of a single advantage of going full-time.
>
> Moreover, every time I've made this move, I've regretted it - not
> just because some unexpected calamity has shortly followed, such as
> a major investor pulling out and the last dozen hires being
> terminated as the result, but because I've had a decline in status
> as the result.
>
> --
> Bruce Byfield 604.421.7177 bbyfield -at- axionet -dot- com

Jim Kajpust - Personal Responsibility - Personal Freedoms
Michigan - http://www.concentric.net/~jkajpust