RE: Experience/No experience

Subject: RE: Experience/No experience
From: Christine -dot- Anameier -at- seagate -dot- com
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 26 Mar 2001 16:41:32 -0600

David Berg clarified: <<I wasn't suggesting that he play the role of
secretary, although I indicated as much by answering his question about
word processing and data entry without comment. I suppose I answered in a
bit too much of a hurry. IMHO, you'd be better off spending time in
journalism or web design than secretarial work if you plan on making a
segue into tech writing at a later time.>>

Oh, so THAT's why you suggested a portfolio! :) Now I get it.

I was assuming that Colin's brother isn't actually looking to get into tech
writing--that he's just trying to pay the bills while working on his film.
(One might ask then why Colin posted the question here. My guess is that he
figured some of us had done the temp-work thing in the past and could offer
advice.)

And I agree, I would not advise aspiring tech writers to enter the field
through clerical temp work. Once a company has had you collating their
binders and typing their memos, I think it's hard for them to envision you
in a non-clerical position.