Re: Open Source Project Management Tool

Subject: Re: Open Source Project Management Tool
From: jkajpust -at- concentric -dot- net
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Sat, 31 Mar 2001 12:22:08 -0500

I use RCS on Windows. However, I use it for myself. The company I
work for doesn't use any type of doc control and I have a couple
hundred files I'm constantly updating. I needed something more than
a list in word of what I've done.

I write mostly text based xml and html files and really like the way
RCS helps me track things. I open a file, do my thing, and a couple
of times a week, I check which ones were updated, check them into
RCS and update what I've done. I can look over the list and instantly
see which files I've fiddled with.

I know this is a small set of documents to consider, but RCS has
sure helped me bring some order to my life -- and for a single user
it's free...

From: Chris <cud -at- telecable -dot- es>

> I was on a team that used RCS for versioning Maker files. Line-by-line
> versioning was not altogether important to us. The only problem is that
> after a few versions, the system gets bloated, and checkin/checkout
> slows down. The administrator had tools to clean up branches, and leave
> the trees at some arbitrary depth (5-deep trees, I think).
>
> As for cross-platform, we, not really as far as I know. Our system was
> installed on Unix.

Jim Kajpust - Personal Responsibility - Personal Freedoms
Michigan - http://www.concentric.net/~jkajpust