Populated screenshots

Subject: Populated screenshots
From: "Foster, Willow" <WFoster -at- friedmancorp -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 2 Apr 2001 07:13:06 -0500

Hi all,

I don't have internet access right now, so I can't check the archives on
this. Sorry.

When taking a screenshot, do you put dummy data in the fields? For example,
would you have something like 'Jane Doe' in the name field? What about in
the training or reference material? Our product is a huge database, so there
could be any number of fields on a screen. Most of the fields are not
required by the system (they won't give you an error), but they really
should have something in them (for example, customer name).

Our customers are mid-sized manufacturers that mainly produce cabinets or
windows. However, each company has its own way of doing things. For example,
company A might use MRP to forecast, while company B doesn't forecast at
all. The forecasting method (or lack thereof) is set on the product
definition screen, along with a bunch of other options. If I populate that
field with an M (for MRP), am I suggesting that one way is better than
another?

I was hoping to take one basic screenshot and use it over again as needed.
So, I'm leaning more towards empty fields with callouts, but I'm in the
minority. My feeling is that if I have data in the fields and choose M for
forecast method, I will have consistently chosen MRP over the other options
and I'd still have to change the shot when I wanted to describe the other
forecasting options.

Advise?

TIA,
Willow