Re: Easy-to-use (author in) XHTML tool sought

Subject: Re: Easy-to-use (author in) XHTML tool sought
From: "Chuck Martin" <twriter -at- sonic -dot- net>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 2 Apr 2001 12:06:21 -0700

Thanks for the input so far, both in the list and provately. However,
despite several interesting suggestions, I still haven't found anything that
meets my current needs.

It might help to clarify that what I need to do (as I realized after I
completed my original post) is to author not XHTML files, but XHTML
fragments. Don't ask; I didn't create the architecture of our Help system.

Of the XML ayuthoring tools that I've looked at, both from the suggestions
I've received from list denizens and from my own searching, most seem to be
mor concerned with entire document structure, and the design of the programs
have that focus.

Well, I really have no need for that whole document structure, I need only
to make sure that the content that would be within the <body> </body> tags
is XHTML compliant. The rest of the document structure is not used in our
Help system; all of that is either excised from the files or commented out.
(And doing this manually on each file that I would create would be an
unwanted chore.)

This also means that "validators" would find all our files invalid because
the base document structure wouldn't be there. I need only something,
preferably WYSIWYG, that will allow the correct createion of XHTML content
without the surrounding document structure. Is there such a beast?

"I don't entirely understand it but it is true: Highly skilled
carpenters don't get insulted when told they are not architects,
but highly skilled programmers do get insulted when told
they are not UI designers."
- anonymous programmer quoted in "GUI Bloopers"

Chuck Martin
User Assistance & Experience Engineer
twriter "at" sonic "dot" net www.writeforyou.com

"Scott Turner" <sturner -at- airmail -dot- net> wrote in message news:98605 -at- techwr-l -dot- -dot- -dot-

> >I'm trying to see if there is a tool out there that will automatically
> >create valid XHTML. At the company where I am curretnly contracting, the
> >Help system (for a web application) is XML driven, with the content in
valid
> >XHTML. The twist is that we actually create all the content after the
> >starting <body> tag and before the ending </body> tag. (In other words,
if
> >we create HTML files in "standard" tools, we comment out the starting
HTML
> >and head content and the end </body> and </html> tags.)
> >
> >I've been searching for WYSIWYG tools that create valid XHTML without
much
> >success. Even Dreamweaver 4, which I live for most web work, won't do
XHTML.