ISO Document Control--thanks for the tips

Subject: ISO Document Control--thanks for the tips
From: GEORGE Grider 901/360-4002 <ggrider -at- fedex -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 02 Apr 2001 14:24:49 -0500

Techwirlers,

Thanks to the many who answered the question about what to do with
"bench copies" of repair manuals vs. officially controlled documents,
especially where the documents are authored externally.

Some reminded me that the technician's notes can be incorporated into
any document and made official. A good point. I may pass on this
suggestion, however, on account of the work involved (as compared to
more urgent tasks that are barking at my door).

Tom Johnson and his resident ISO expert at the Star Cutter Company gave
what seems to me the best working solution: keep the valuable bench
copies, and stamp them "for reference only." It's the latest versions of
the manufacturer-authored documents that receive the official document
control status. I'll remember to add something to our existing documents
that permit use of the more informative but non pedigree "FRO"
documents.

Thanks again,
George