Re: Underlining to denote links?

Subject: Re: Underlining to denote links?
From: "Angie F" <AngieF1975 -at- hotmail -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 2 Apr 2001 19:21:25 -0400

bryan -dot- westbrook -at- amd -dot- com says: "What about borders around graphics that are
links on HTML pages? Do most readers know how to identify a graphic that
is a potential link or pass their pointer over them all just to see?"

Most HTML editors allow for a colored border (for example, blue) to be
around the graphic. This usually identifies which graphics are links.
Navigation buttons are recognizable as links by most people because the
buttons usually have text on the front (home, about us, opportunities, etc.)

I have been on Web pages that had picture links that I didn't know where
links, but because I'm a "nosey" little researcher I checked everything. I
would advise a designer to put a caption beneath the picture/image,
especially if the image may appear to users as just being a graphic element.

Geoff Hart said: "The reason why underlining works (and works well) is >
that it's been a standard long enough for people to use underlining
unconsciously as a cue that they've found a link. See the underline, click
the link: no thought required."

I agree that underlining helps the users to see links. Changing the color
of the links to separate it from the rest of the text is also an indicator
that one should "click here." In my opinion, this looks the best, but the
link color has to be chosen carefully. It should stand out from the rest of
the text. For example, one shouldn't use dark blue link text color when the
rest of the text is black. It may be hard to differentiate. Web designers
also have to remember the small percentage of people who are color blind and
the many people who are visually impaired. If it's a Web site that may be
accessed more frequently by this population, then the designer should
underline links and choose appropriate link colors.

Just my thoughts,
Angie
angief1975 -at- hotmail -dot- com