RE: Documentation plans, standards manuals, and more

Subject: RE: Documentation plans, standards manuals, and more
From: Paul Hanson <PHanson -at- Quintrex -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 3 Apr 2001 11:45:16 -0500

The best style guide I ever worked with was two 3" binders that I created.
Maybe this method will work for you.

I put lettered tabs A-M in the first binder, N-Z in the second. When the
three of us would come across a style issue, I'd print an example, write the
date we decided it, and put it in my binder. Then when a similar discussion
came up again, I went to my binder and said, "We decided on such and such
date we were going to do it this way. Are we saying we want to change our
standard that we've had since [date]?"

More often than not, we agreed that the standard we had previously agreed to
was the better solution.

The disadvantage was that my organization system was, well, mine and others
were at a loss to find something. (A simple TOC could be created to avoid
that issue, though.)

Paul

April 27. http://www.pdfconference.com.