PageMaker vs. InDesign (vs. FrameMaker) for university courses

Subject: PageMaker vs. InDesign (vs. FrameMaker) for university courses
From: msammons -at- ix -dot- netcom -dot- com
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 03 Apr 2001 14:52:46 -0400

BACKGROUND:
I teach technical writing at a large university where we share computer labs and software with other depts., such as Communications.
We are currently teaching PageMaker 6.5. In the tech writing program, desktop publishing is a required course to teach students page design/layout and principles of using templates, styles, etc.

The Comm department wants the school to buy InDesign to "stay current" and because "Adobe is no longer going to sell PageMaker."

Based on the info I've been reading over the years from this discussion list, I've been arguing for FrameMaker. No one is listening.

MY QUESTION

I know the rumors have been flying about Adobe dropping FrameMaker.
-Anyone know if they are going to drop PageMaker?
-Should we teach InDesign instead? Anyone even use it? Will our students benefit by learning one package over the other if our goal is to teach tools/principles?

April 27. http://www.pdfconference.com.