Re: PageMaker vs. InDesign (vs. FrameMaker) for university courses

Subject: Re: PageMaker vs. InDesign (vs. FrameMaker) for university courses
From: Steve Peter <speter -at- wolfram -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 3 Apr 2001 14:26:52 -0500 (CDT)

On Tue, 3 Apr 2001 msammons -at- ix -dot- netcom -dot- com wrote:

> I know the rumors have been flying about Adobe dropping FrameMaker.
> -Anyone know if they are going to drop PageMaker? -Should we teach
> InDesign instead? Anyone even use it? Will our students benefit by
> learning one package over the other if our goal is to teach
> tools/principles?

I use InDesign (for my small press, not at work), and I like it. The
advantange I could see in teaching it is that it combines two important
things: 1) It is more similar to QuarkXPress than Frame- or PageMaker are,
so you could more readily move to Quark if you had to (e.g., if a job
required it); 2) It uses the "standard" Adobe interface for palettes,
toolbar, etc., so you would be in a good position to transfer that
knowledge to Photoshop, Acrobat, etc., or even Frame- and PageMaker if you
had to (again, due to job requirements).

Steve

April 27. http://www.pdfconference.com.