Re: Would you like a fries with that style guide?

Subject: Re: Would you like a fries with that style guide?
From: Scott Turner <sturner -at- airmail -dot- net>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 3 Apr 2001 17:12:52 -0500

This may be true, but there is no reason to spend months developing these
plans. My team can plan out an entire 40+ doc set in two days. (But we smell) I
can't tell you how many tech pubs departments I have seen that have binders
full of procedures and plans that are rarely if ever used. Why write them in
the first place? Nobody reads or uses them?

Wheeee

Andrew Plato

Andrew must not have to contend with ISO.

Bob Morrisette

No so Bob, my entire ISO procedure ran 5 pages. The nuts and bolts were in work instructions. Details that might change, but needed to be around for reference, especially for new writers, were in the work instructions, allowing them at least one iteration of a successful process.

ISO, document how you work, not how you think you should work. We followed the KISS formula. It usually works.

Scott

Build Contents, Indexes, and Search for Web Sites and Help Systems Available 4/30/01 at http://www.devahelp.com or info -at- devahelp -dot- com