Re: PageMaker vs. InDesign (vs. FrameMaker) for university courses

Subject: Re: PageMaker vs. InDesign (vs. FrameMaker) for university courses
From: jkajpust -at- concentric -dot- net
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 3 Apr 2001 20:53:12 -0400

I just finished my BA and Masters after 22 yrs in the military. There
wasn't a tech writing course as such, but I took English, comp
science, and graphics. We used Quark and I learned Pagemaker
on my own. My first job had Pagemaker and my current job uses
FrameMaker.

My opinion is that as long as they get some good training in any of
the above, they won't be that lost when they have to use some other
tool. There are styles, and master pages, and importing and
exporting, etc. If they are familiar with what is going on, any of the
packages should be pretty easy to jump into.

Like someone else mentioned, cover the basics. Stuff like; b&w line
drawings aren't jpgs, 14 fonts in a newsletter don't make it, there is
life after Word, you don't need to scan a photo at 600 dpi for a laser
printed brochure, etc.

Jim Kajpust - Personal Responsibility - Personal Freedoms
Michigan - http://www.concentric.net/~jkajpust

April 27. http://www.pdfconference.com.