RE: TW job outlook

Subject: RE: TW job outlook
From: Lief Erickson <lerickson -at- mqsoftware -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 4 Apr 2001 10:29:37 -0500

Bill Swallow wrote:

<<The job market for writers is not drying up by any means - it's evolving.
We're either seen as people who write books, or as people who have a highly
technical approach to information delivery.>>

I agree with Bill. Has anyone seen the new WorldCom commercial? The imagery
is a bunch of hip looking, techy-type people hanging around computers and
"technology"--scary stuff to the average telephone user. The voice over
talks about the need for people who understand the technology, aren't afraid
of it, and can translate into "safe" information. Although they never say
"technical writer" in the ad, it certainly describes technical writers.

I, too, was laid off from my previous company and although I had some time
off, I wasn't able to enjoy it. (I was still trying to get my feet firmly in
the technical writing world.) However, if it were to happen again, I would
take the time off and relax, play squash, catch up on my reading, maybe
travel. It's a forced vacation, but a vacation nevertheless.

The market for technical writers is still there. It's just now company's
will be a little more selective and the people with the technical skill will
get jobs easier, faster, and more often than the formatting folks.

-Lief

April 27. http://www.pdfconference.com.