RE: links without underlining them?

Subject: RE: links without underlining them?
From: "John Locke" <mail -at- freelock -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 4 Apr 2001 09:22:42 -0700

Glenn asked:

> Question: How can you get a webpage to override the underlining?
>
> I'm documenting an API where classes and functions have underscores in the
> name. They don't read very well in links when the browser
> underlines them. I
> want to turn underlined links off for my readers (unless they override my
> settings).

And several people answered with stylesheet/script advice.

Here's another way (actually, two):

1. Don't make them links. Link something else in the line. This method works
no matter what browser your target audience uses.
2. Make them images. (okay, maybe not for this application... but images are
the one way you can make sure links won't be underlined!)

If you can guarantee that your users have browsers that support
JavaScript/CSS, the other solutions work fine, and are probably better...
just providing some alternatives!

Cheers,
John Locke
http://www.freelock.com