RE: ethics, morals in documentation?

Subject: RE: ethics, morals in documentation?
From: "Lydia Wong" <lydiaw -at- fpoint -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 5 Apr 2001 12:46:00 -0400

Anon wrote about the ethical and moral aspects of working on a product for a
pornography company.

I find the topic interesting because our company makes controls that
developers can use in their own applications. We have customers ranging from
aeronautical manufacturers to the White House. What applications they make
using our controls are usually not known to us. It bothers me a little to
think that something I wrote might help someone use our control in an
application dealing with massive nuclear destruction or something like
that, but I can't control that.

One thing that helps me, in my mind, is to remember a news piece about the
Center for Missing Children. The piece focused on software the Center uses
for "aging" children, to create portraits of them as they might appear years
after they have disappeared. In the piece, they showed the software on a
monitor. Could one of our controls be in that piece of software? Could that
be our Tab control in that dialog? I have no way to know, but I like to
think so.

So, when I start wondering if some arms manufacturer is using our controls,
or something like that, I remember the Center for Missing Children, and all
the other wonderful groups and organizations out there who work for the good
of all of us. I think they're using our products, and I like to write for
them.

Just my way to get through the day. ; )

Lydia
Lydia Wong