Re: Creating inch and metric tutorials (longish)

Subject: Re: Creating inch and metric tutorials (longish)
From: Mike Stockman <stockman -at- jagunet -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 06 Apr 2001 10:29:35 -0400

At 09:47 AM 4/6/2001 -0400, christine -dot- capazzi -at- mastercam -dot- com wrote:

Unfortunately, we can't just provide examples that are formatted like:

Enter 0.5 (metric equivalent in parentheses)

because the examples need to use metric tools, parameters, etc. to be
realistic.

Does your software let the user specify a "preferred" unit of measure (I ask because I've seldom seen a design package that didn't)? If so, write instructions that don't assume any particular measurement system, and let the user who's performing the tutorial decide the numbers to use (Enter the length of the line in the Line Length field, such as "12 centimeters" or "156 miles").

Sure, each market has its own "default" measurement system, but it's ultimately up to the user (with most modern software packages) to decide the unit of measure she's comfortable with. Write the instructions so they demonstrate your software's flexibility, and let the user decide.

Just an idea,
----->Mike

Build Contents, Indexes, and Search for Web Sites and Help Systems Available 4/30/01 at http://www.devahelp.com or info -at- devahelp -dot- com