Re: pronouns and portfolios

Subject: Re: pronouns and portfolios
From: Bruce Byfield <bbyfield -at- axion -dot- net>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 06 Apr 2001 12:20:42 -0700

bryan -dot- westbrook -at- amd -dot- com wrote:

> If people stop using them because there is an easier way, then we will lose
> the distinction.

We may lose the distinction between plural and singular, but we gain
an indefinite pronoun that doesn't involve gender. For many
advocates of gender, that seems a fair tradeoff: one distinction
lost, one gained.

>Just because the common use does eventually have a trend towards stripping our language of its specificity does not mean >that those of us who make our living using the language should let it happen without putting up a fight.

I doubt that this trend exists, or at least that it's universal. The
language is probably gaining technological precision, for example.
And, if this is a trend, it's a very old one.

But is it really a lack of precision? I'd argue that a singular
indefinite pronoun is less precise than a plural one. After all,
when you say something like "Everyone is entitled to his opinion,"
you're not really talking about one person; you're creating a
metaphorical Everyman (with Everywoman nowhere in sight; another
impreciseness) that stands for every single person in existence.
>From this perspective, a plural is actually more precise.

At any rate, the idea that "they" can't be used for singular is no
more than a couple of centuries old. It came along about the same
time as people decided that English should imitate mathematics, and
that double-negatives made a positive (try telling that one to the
Anglo-Saxons). I see no reason to defend a relatively recent
innovation, especially one that is broken daily by thousands of
English speakers.

--
Bruce Byfield, Outlaw Communications
604.421.7189 bbyfield -at- axionet -dot- com

April 27. http://www.pdfconference.com.