RE: pronouns and portfolios

Subject: RE: pronouns and portfolios
From: APEERY -at- FAMILYDOLLAR -dot- COM
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 6 Apr 2001 16:10:53 -0400

I was reading a user guide the other day, and came across a line that went
something like this:

"If the user wishes further information, all she has to do is click the
Detail button."

My reaction was, 'Oh, the author must be in the middle of an example
involving a fictional female user: I'd better go back and see where it
started.'

Well, as everyone has doubtless already guessed, there was no fictional
female user; the author was merely alternating "he" and "she" throughout the
document.

Now, some of you may feel that I must have brain damage for being this
obtuse. I would argue, however, that subject pronoun gender alternation in
technical writing can be jarring to readers. After all, in current english
usage, "he" can refer to a specific male being, or to a person or people
whose gender is not specified (No, I don't mean Pat). So when I read "he,"
I am ready for either a specific he or a generic reference to a person or
people whose gender is immaterial.

Whereas "she" is generally used only to refer to a being or beings
specifically female . Therefore, out of sheer habit, when I read "she," I
think of a specific she, which is often unintended by the writer.

If we absolutely must make a political statement in a technical document,
why not always use "she," and never "he"? I think I would find this less
confusing.

Am I alone in my madness?

April 27. http://www.pdfconference.com.