Re: Whaddaya know? (long)

Subject: Re: Whaddaya know? (long)
From: Scott Turner <sturner -at- airmail -dot- net>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 9 Apr 2001 13:35:45 -0500

Do I believe what I am reading? Technical communicators are discussing
whether or not we need to be able to explain the grammatical or style
"rules" or guidelines behind our writing? Do those of you who say we do not
also argue that you cannot define what "art" is, but you know it when you
see it?

Without a solid grounding in the English language, assuming it is English
you are writing in, and the ability to articulate its grammar, conventions,
style, and other elements, then we should be accused of "poisoning" the
language.

"I don't know what I want, but I'll know it when I see it!"

"All you Bases are belonging to us."

Some of you probably have heard the first. Some may know about the second. It is all the same. You must know the language and its grammar, regardless of whether you can qoute book, chapter, and verse. I keep a reference book on my desk, 'cause I still, after forty years, still have problems remembering some grammar rules. Although I can recognize when they aren't followed.

Scott

Build Contents, Indexes, and Search for Web Sites and Help Systems Available 4/30/01 at http://www.devahelp.com or info -at- devahelp -dot- com