RE: Meyers-Briggs, etc. and work (back OT)

Subject: RE: Meyers-Briggs, etc. and work (back OT)
From: "Rock, Megan" <Megan -dot- Rock -at- fanucrobotics -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 10 Apr 2001 13:10:47 -0400

> Does anybody on this list use your technical communication
> skills in fields other than software, hardware, or
> networking?

Let's see... I've used my professional writing skills and multimedia
training to help set up a multimedia and video-editing system at a church,
taught the pastor how to use Power Point to put his sermon outline on screen
during the worship service, made fliers to go in the church bulletins for
various events, created marketing material and a Web site for an
organization my husband and I recently started, created a Web site for a
Bible study an associate's friend was going to be teaching, made Web sites
for two churches, and currently maintain my university's alumni Web site. I
almost think I've used my professional writing skills more outside of my job
than within it. I would definitely say I've had a wider variety of projects
outside of my job than within it.

Years ago I took a career aptitude test, and it produced a huge list of job
possibilities including technical writer. I was a high school junior at the
time, investigating colleges and universities I might want to attend, and
trying to figure out what I might want to do with my life. I had no idea
what a "technical writer" was, thought it sounded really boring, and didn't
think twice about that option. Little did I know that two years later I'd
be declaring "Professional Writing" as my major, mixing in a few graphics
and multimedia classes, and loving every minute of it.

By the way, I'm an ISTJ or an ISFJ depending on the day and the mood I'm in
when I take the test. I find that the Thinker and the Feeler conflict
within me sometimes. The Feeler in me wants to be nice to people when I
have to go and ask them about a draft that's way overdue, because I want to
maintain a cordial working relationship with them in case I ever need them
to review something else. But the Thinker in me just wants the draft back
at any cost so that I can get my work done and meet my deadlines.

Megan Rock
Technical Writer
FANUC Robotics North America, INC.

Views presented and opinions held are not necessarily those of my friends,
family, or employer.

April 27. http://www.pdfconference.com.