Re: True Technical Writer

Subject: Re: True Technical Writer
From: Bruce Byfield <bbyfield -at- progeny -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 11 Apr 2001 09:58:57 -0700

Carol Peruzzi wrote:

> If this is off topic, forgive me. I'm new at this. I was hired at this
> company as a paralegal and ended up doing the technical writing for our
> software product. As I had no programming experience, the programmers many
> times write the "help" for SOME of their executables and enhancements. When
> they do the writing, I do change it, enhance it, tweak it, etc. Many times
> (more often than not) I do the writing and have the programmer review it.
> My question is this: What am I if I am not doing all of the "writing". Am
> I considered a true "technical writer". Would be interested in your
> thoughts. I'm sure I'm not the only one who has been put in this position.
> Thanks much.

I'd describe your duties as editing, rather than writing, but many
people who are called "technical writers" have the same duties. If
that worries you, maybe you could consider learning some
programming. However, I wouldn't worry too much, so long as the
results are useful and you enjoy the work.

--
Bruce Byfield 604.421.7177 bbyfield -at- progeny -dot- com

"Rain and hard religion, the gift of a northern youth,
We make a mess of tenderness, we hit you with the truth,
There are days when we're almost human, days when it's shout or
bust,
The roughest kind of tenderness - we sing because we must."
-OysterBand, "No Reason to Cry"

April 27. http://www.pdfconference.com.