RE: Tech Writer Ethics: Yahoo Enters Porn Business

Subject: RE: Tech Writer Ethics: Yahoo Enters Porn Business
From: "Gilger.John" <JGilger -at- acresgaming -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 11 Apr 2001 11:50:50 -0700

Good point.

Today's Internet is the only "socially redeeming value" I could ascribe to
the pornography business.

If your memory goes back a few years, you'll recall that when the Internet
was primarily a medium for exchanging academic information between defense
research laboratories it was slow, clunky, arcane, and text only. As graphic
capabilities were introduced and porn got involved, there was money
available to research and develop attributes of the Internet that are taken
for granted today. This includes things like e-commerce, funds transfers
over the 'net, high-speed modems/broadband, animation, streaming
audio/video, and so on.

For the most part, "adult content sites" have been the bleeding edge of the
Internet's development. From a technical point of view, these were great
places to learn the latest-and-greatest technology. From the ethics point of
view, cash is king and the freedom to express unpopular, disgusting opinions
and even make a profit while doing so, is what the first amendment is all
about.

Just for the record, I do not, nor have I ever worked for a porn site. Maybe
that's just because no one has made an offer and tested the "Cash is king"
theorem. Ethics aren't worth much until they have been tried and tested.

John Gilger
Senior Technical Writer
Acres Gaming, Inc.
702.914.5585