Re: Well, I Sure Won't Be in Chicago

Subject: Re: Well, I Sure Won't Be in Chicago
From: Bruce Byfield <bbyfield -at- progeny -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 12 Apr 2001 10:09:14 -0700

bryan -dot- westbrook -at- amd -dot- com wrote:

> Another problem would be maintaining confidentiality of trade secrets when
> discussing technical subjects in a mailing list (they discuss that very
> scenario in new employee orientation here).

There are still trends in each industry that can be discussed in
general terms.

For example, about 18 months ago, one of the issues in embedded
Linux systems was developing as small a version of the operating
system as possible. If you were working on a solution to that
problem, you could still talk about such things as how to decide
what would go into the new OS, and how the issue was affected by
changes in hardware. In fact, many people did talk about such
things, because I heard them. What they didn't talk about, of
course, was the details about how their companies were addressing
these issues.

The fact is, confidentiality is not a new problem. Software
developers have been dealing with it for years, and it doesn't stop
them delivering papers on an issue. Why would tech-writers be any
different?

--
Bruce Byfield 604.421.7177 bbyfield -at- progeny -dot- com

"There's the smell of death on Golden Mountain,
A price in blood is paid on everyload
And you bury your friends, too many for counting
In the rock and the mud of the Demon Fire-Carriage Road."
- Su-Chong Lim

April 27. http://www.pdfconference.com.