RE: Special Interest Groups

Subject: RE: Special Interest Groups
From: Megan Golding <mgolding -at- secureworks -dot- net>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 12 Apr 2001 13:59:05 -0400

> * Chat sessions - something like what Utah State University
> has done for
> their online classes. Everyone logs in and you have a
> round-table discussion
> about whatever topic suits you.

I like the above idea! We could schedule a 1/2 or 1 hour session to talk
about a specific topic.

I've used online meeting providers (PlaceWare and WebEX) for these types of
sessions. These services aren't purely chat forums but allow application
sharing and "whiteboard" sessions that are really cool for the visual types
in the "room".

Or, how about group chats in instant messaging? I'm a big fan of IM at work
(for professional purposes). <aside> When I telecommute, I keep IM running
and am able to ask our programmers questions as I encounter them. If they're
in the middle of something, they can ignore the message...I don't interrupt
them, and the programmers generally get back to me ASAP. </aside>

Regards,
Megan Golding
SecureWorks, Inc.
(mgolding -at- secureworks -dot- net)