RE: Technology in the hands of infidels

Subject: RE: Technology in the hands of infidels
From: david -dot- locke -at- amd -dot- com
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 12 Apr 2001 15:11:51 -0500

But, some people do need these product characteristics. Further, if you like
your fast machine, realize that you wouldn't have that or multimedia of any
capability without applications creating demand for these fast machines. The
adoption of multimedia pushed the purchase of all that Moore's Law doubling
capacity.

Clippy might be irritating, but the animations you see built into Windows
are there to use up excess processor capacity. And, by using that capacity
up, the semiconductor companies get to sell again faster machines. PC sales
slipped last holiday season. There were no new machine hogging killer apps
out there pushing the need for faster machines. It's essential that the
software industry continue to create machine hogging applications, so
investment in semiconductor plant continues to be justified, or this whole
house of cards will go to zero, the markets will fall, and we will be laid
off. There is a long way to go before this becomes a real problem, because
there is a lot of room for improvement.

First users for a technology generally underwrite the productization of that
technology. If you get a product in your hands, more than likely its
development was paid for by the first early adopters.

I actually need the fastest machine and all the memory I can get. With tools
like MS Word, it makes a huge difference. Some problems just fade away in
the face of huge hardware.

David

Charles Rich said:

I can't honestly say that I ever NEEDED high-bandwidth
bitstream video, ultra-high resolution graphics, and age filtering software
to do my work.

April 27. http://www.pdfconference.com.