Re: Clippy's Demise

Subject: Re: Clippy's Demise
From: "John Fleming" <johnf -at- ecn -dot- ab -dot- ca>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 12 Apr 2001 14:16:51 -0600

Quite frankly, I found Clippy to be an obnoxious nuisance.

The place where my revulsion for the monster really started was
shortly after I got a PC with Microsoft Office 97 on it. At the time,
I needed to write a lot of letters, and every time I started writing a
letter, this infernal paperclip would pop up with a message saying
"Looks like you are trying to write a letter . . .." Well, I learned
to write a business letter back in a junior high school typing class,
and the last thing I need is an animated paper clip trying to tell me
what to do or where to find more information.

To further solidify my revulsion for the feature, the MS programmers,
may they rot in Hell for all eternity, didn't provide a switch to turn
the feature permanently off.

So to answer your question, it's a lot of things. One, I found Clippy
intrusive. Two, I found the information it was trying to provide
didn't meet my needs. And three, I didn't have an easy way to disable
what, in my opinion, was a poorly designed feature.