RE: The demise of the printed manual?

Subject: RE: The demise of the printed manual?
From: John Cornellier <tw -at- cornellier -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 13 Apr 2001 12:22:41 +0200

> I agree that that is one of the flaws with Microsoft software--lack of
> printed manuals.

But I don't think MS is saying "we don't think you should have paper manuals", I think they're just making a business decision that they're not in the manual-producing biz, and it's more efficient to let 3rd parties do it.

If there aren't 3rd parties filling in the gap, maybe you shold think more carefully before you drop print.

I've seen a lot of complaining about the FrameMaker 6.0 manual, and I wonder whether there would actually have been *less* complaining had they not supplied a book at all, leaving it to Dummies, et al.

John Cornellier
tech writer

Build Contents, Indexes, and Search for Web Sites and Help Systems Available 4/30/01 at http://www.devahelp.com or info -at- devahelp -dot- com